Syp’s Playlist : OrderJuly 15, 2008
Since I get asked a lot what classes/server types/faction I’m going to be playing, I thought I’d do a quick three-part article listing my current preferences. I’ve been reluctant to do so, mostly because I know it makes a world of difference once I actually get my hands on a game and test drive them for real. I’m planning on experimenting a lot in open beta to find my first main, but in the meanwhile, here’s the top 10 classes (listed from 1 – most likely to play to 10 – least likely) on the Order side… if I roll that:
- Dwarf Engineer – Has pets, a neat steampunk look, uses down-and-dirty technology instead of that high-falootin’ magic, has a BOOMSTICK. How can I not roll one of these?
- Empire Witch Hunter – I know, I know, pretty much everyone’s going to roll one of these. I’m going to, not so much for the rogue-ish play mechanics, but for the insanely awesome look. Plus, pistol-and-sword combo hasn’t been done much elsewhere in MMOs.
- High Elf White Lion – The only elf I’m going to put in my top five, as I personally loathe elves in all RPGs. This one gets the nod for being the only “true” Order pet class… although cats? Elves? Yeah, that hasn’t been beaten into the ground by any other MMO I’ve played…
- Empire Battlepriest – The whole “battle mage” or “plate cleric” thing appeals to a lot of people in other games, and I can see it being pretty neat being a near-tank with healing powers. Pretty much a paladin, but seeing as how Empire lost their tank, this might be picking up the slack.
- Dwarf Runepriest – Interesting low-magic, whack-them-with-a-stick approach, but I’m not sold on the look. Robes? Guy looks like he’s ready to take a shower.
- Empire Bright Wizard – KABLOOEY! Fun for pyros, although the near-exclusive focus on fire magic is less than diverse (hasn’t fire magic been done to death in EVERY RPG up to this point?). Still, has a bit of an allure to him.
- High Elf Archmage – I guess… I guess the magic might be cool. I guess. See my comments on elves above.
- Dwarf Ironbreaker – Might get more of a look now that the number of tank classes on each side are down to three, but this just doesn’t do a lot for me. I think that the beards coming out of these guys’ helmets look like squid tentacles.
- High Elf Shadow Warrior – The baby of bad fantasy fiction, Legolas and a rogue. No thanks.
- High Swordmaster – An elf with a sword. Meh.
R.I.P. Hammerer and Knight of the Blazing Sun.