Star WARs: A New HomeNovember 2, 2008
This is going to be a bit of a lengthy, up-front post to you all about WAAAGH! the blog, and I have to admit it makes me a bit nervous to write it. No, I’m not quitting the blogging scene or changing to WHAMMO! A Champions Online Blog or anything, but there’s a change coming soon in WAAAGH!’s future.
A month or so ago I was contacted by the folks over at GameRiot, who were interested in bringing me and my blog on board with their new Warhammer portal. It’s not the first time a company’s approached me for something like this, and my response was “Probably not, but I’m willing to hear you out.” Over the next few weeks, I went back and forth with their people about their proposal, which ultimately has turned into an acceptance on my part. Within the next week or so, WAAAGH! will be moving (sort of, the old URLs and everything will continue to work just fine) to their place, and I’ll continue to cover WAR as usual.
“He’s mad!” you say. “He’s selling out to The Man!” This sort of reaction, and personal reservations about protecting the content and spirit and freedom of the blog, was what held me back. But in truth, this is a pretty good deal — for me and for you. Before you get your pitchforks and torches, let me share with you exactly why.
1. I enjoy writing a blog and would (and have) do it for free. I didn’t start blogging to make money at all. But that said, I’m not adverse to it, especially with Syp Jr. set to be born next year. Moving to GameRiot would give me a cut of advertising banner revenue, which I can set aside for a college fund for the kid or whatever else we may need. As a dad-to-be, I’d be a little stupid not to take advantage of this opportunity to help provide for my family while still doing something I love.
2. None of the ads are popups, and GameRiot doesn’t support adult content, gold sellers or farmers with their ads.
3. This was especially important to me: I retain FULL control over my content and blog. They have no editorial control or demands, other than cutting down on the nonstop stream of profanities that I utter (that’s a joke, there, at least the second part). If, in the future, I want to walk away, I can take the blog with me and do anything I like with it. I can write whatever I want, whenever I want, and feel no pressure other than just to do a good job.
4. GameRiot will offer me their services with technical help, graphic art, and doing PR to get more people to come read the blog. All good stuff.
5. All of the old URLs will continue to work, and the address waaagh.wordpress.com will redirect toward the new site.
So essentially, WAAAGH! is relocating to take advantage of an advertising program that is not intrusive, will offer me financial compensation, continue to provide you all with loads of free and unedited content, and give you guys even more community tools past comments. I’ve talked this over with my wife, my family (and my brother the lawyer, who scoured the contract for any hidden clauses), and several people in the WAR blogging community to make sure I wasn’t just doing this out of greed, but because it’s a good opportunity overall. And so far, everyone seems pretty supportive about it.
I don’t doubt that some of you guys may look down on me for this move, but I hope that most of you know that I wouldn’t do it unless I thought it was a very good move for the blog — not just myself and my wallet. If you have any questions or concerns, pop them into comments and I’ll try my best to answer them all.