Marky Mark and the Funky BunchOctober 8, 2008
At the suggestion of comments left in my previous post, I headed over to VN Boards (motto: “The ‘V’ stands for ‘Victory’ and the ‘N’ stands for ‘Pie'”) to catch up on what Mark Jacobs was saying over here. Turns out, he’s been definitely tossing info cookies to the players, so if you don’t have the time to catch up, here’s a few choice highlights:
- Gold spammer bannings have not ceased, but they take a while due to thousands of petitions, 55 servers and “multiple levels of checks” to make sure they didn’t ban anyone unfairly.
- “The reason we opened so many servers is because if we hadn’t, we’d have more servers with queues and instead of people saying “Low pop servers suck Mythic, merge them or we quit!” we’d be hearing “Long queues for servers suck Mythic, eliminate the queues or we quit!””
- For your entertainment: Mark vs. Da Trolls.
In response to a poster asking for (1) more focus on open world RvR, (2) a better chat system with a wider range and (3) adding and refining a better crafting system, Mark said “Yes” to all three and then elaborated on the poster who asked for those three fixes/additions:
1. Open RvR is crucial to this game’s success. If we don’t have enough people doing open RvR, the game will not succeed as much as it could and should. We’re looking at all the data from the servers and if what is being reported here is true (too much emphasis on scenarios), we will certainly look at encouraging people to get involved in oRvR earlier than they may be doing right now. This will not involved nerfing of scenario exp, rp, etc. though.
2. We will have an improved chat interface/filters very quickly (hopefully in the next version). As I’ve said before, we really messed up on the presentation of the chat system. It really is quite powerful but too many people just didn’t know what they could do to make their lives easier. That’s our fault and we will correct that. Once I had my chat system set up properly, I was very pleased with the results. So, the next version you will see will have: a) more tabs by default; b) more filters; c) a reminder on how to set things up your way. Further down the road I want to see a chat editor similar to our layout editor. I also sent an idea to the team about a simple slash command (and then a button) to make gold spammer reporting quite easy.
3. I love the core crafting system and we definitely want to add a lot more stuff to it as the game evolves.
As to what else is coming, well, that would be telling but I guarantee that you’ll like what we are going to do before the year is out and afterward. As I promised before we launched, we are keeping the team on WAR and not moving them on to the expansion pack yet. Launching was only the first step…
4. Yes, we have big patches coming but not this month. This month is all about bug fixing, tweaks, adjustments and some small additions. I’ll be talking about the big patches either late this week or next depending on how things go. But adding more stuff now is not a great idea, we need to do the other stuff first (yes, baby steps) to make sure we don’t mess things up by trying to do too much too quickly. Plus, some of the big things we are working on take time to do. And yes, these things will be sub-packs not expansion packs. Just like we did with DAoC we plan on adding a lot new content to the game as part of our subscription service. No additional charge, fee or airline pass through cost required.