LF Guild – Long Walks On Beach A MustJuly 28, 2008
No, I’m not actually actively hunting for a guild at the moment — too much is up in the air with friends to commit right now — but if I was, here’s what is always most important to me in any MMO:
- A guild that knows the value of maturity. I’m not necessarily saying “adults only”, as teens or younger can be quite mature MMO players, but that the attitude of most of the guildies skews to being respectful of each other, that swearing in guild chat is kept to a minimum, and that offensive slurs and stereotypes are left at the door.
- A guild that embraces the concept of fun. This nixes, for me, ultra-hardcore guilds that are so hell-bent on being the Best that they stress their guild mates out by demanding perfection, pouncing on every mistake and error and missed raiding time. I need a guild that does silly things, that is forgiving after a wipe (especially when it’s my fault, which we’ll just assume is all of the time), that puts on fun events for fun’s sake, and that jokes around with each other a lot.
- A guild that builds each other up, doesn’t get cliquish or elitist, and that basically becomes a surrogate online family.
- A guild with a good name that I’m not embarrassed to display below my character’s forever.
- A guild with strong, central leadership that is accessible yet firm, that has a vision for the guild and sticks with it.
- A guild with great officers that know their stuff and don’t abuse their power (as I am wont to do whenever I’m handed an electric monkey).
- A guild that knows how to handle beggers, whiners and grumpy Guses.
- It’s a plus if it’s a guild that has friends from previous MMOs I’ve played.
I’m sure there are more, and all of this is hard to specifically define, other than “I know it when I see it.” So what are your guild requirements?