Syp’s Playlist : Servers & FactionsJuly 18, 2008
Let’s wrap this little baby up: what type of servers am I leaning toward, and which of the two factions in general?
SERVERS TYPE: (as of right now, no official server rulesets have been declared, and it’s quite possible there will only be one ruleset to choose from)
- Normal Ruleset: In most MMOs, if given a choice, this is the server type I migrate towards. In WAR, this looks to have plenty of PvP/RvR action, but “safe” PvE areas to let me quest without gankage worry.
- Roleplaying: Um… okay, here’s the thing — I’m not an RPer. It just goes against the grain of who I am, and I frankly find that playstyle to be a bit silly. Yet, if it works for you and makes your game experience more fun, then rock on and don’t let me persuade you otherwise. I’ll put RP servers as my #2 choice because the community tends to slant more mature, and because it’s great fun to see people blow up at you when your character has the name of “Twiddlypants”.
- Open PvP: AKA “Kill Me Everywhere”. I played on an open PvP server in WoW for about a year, and I was just miserable for almost the whole time (I only kept on with it because I had some good friends on that server). Being ganked by a guy who you have no chance in heck of beating? Not fun. Always spinning the camera around and being twitchier than a field mouse in a room of cats? Equally not fun. You almost never see the sort of huge open world war that people promote when trying to defend these server types, just a lot of people preying on weaker players and patting themselves on the back for it.
- Other — RP PvP? Sure, you have to give a huge speech before you can kill someone. “Classic” servers where you play the beta from a year ago? I dunno.
FACTION: (the greatest influential factor to this choice is where my friends/guild ends up going… and right now, I don’t know the answer to that, so here’s what I’d choose if it was left up to me)
- Destruction – I’ve always kind of regretting wedding myself to the Alliance side on WoW, but as many of you know, once you find a good guild and get great friends, it’s very hard to break away to the other side. Destruction simply has more appeal to me, more classes that have grabbed my attention, and the ability to kill the lamer of the two types of elves (High Elves). Plus, someone’s got to stick up for the nearly-extinct Orc race, right?
- Order – That said, Order wouldn’t be the end of the world, either. I’m sure I’ll be making characters on both sides (different servers, of course), and it would be pretty neat to play the Witch Hunter and Engineer at some point.