Passing The PlateJuly 7, 2008
Among the many, many details concerning guild structure, tools and features is the fact that guilds in Warhammer Online will be able to levy “dues” or “fees” upon their members. While there is no regular guild upkeep fee required by Mythic, they foresee these member dues as a way to cover features such as Keep mercenary pay (you have to pay the NPC guards) and other non-specified content.
My mind’s trying to sort out all the possible ramifications of possible guild fees, including:
- People who will balk outright at joining a guild that requires regular, mandatory (not voluntary) fees from its members.
- Guild dues being used as extortion — pay us or we’ll “kick you out”.
- Guild dues being used as “country club membership dues” to the more prestigious guilds out there, possibly fostering resentment and bitterness from non-members, and an elitist attitude from the people who pony up the dough.
- A guild feeling torn between the necessity of raising money to pay for features like keep NPCs, but worried that they might drive members away if they institute fees.
- Joining a guild that has no fees, but throws them at you in the future after you’ve become quite established in the guild.
I don’t necessarily think this is a bad option to offer guilds, but it does strike me as a potential mine field of problems if a guild doesn’t handle them right.
What do you guys think?