Da Newz – June 19June 19, 2008
Story of the Week: Baltimore Games Day 2008
- A little bit of the old, a little bit of the new: this was the mantra of the devs who came to the Games Day convention, parceling out a few new snippets of info (10 character slots! population caps! expansion in the works!) and regurgitating a lot of older stuff. Many visitors noted that 8 of the classes were unavailable to play on the show floor, including the elusive Black Guard.
- +7,469 from last week
Quote of the Week:
- “Paul runs on love, kindness, and the blood of many elves!” ~ Mythic rep
New WAR Sites & Blogs:
- Like Facebook? Like WAR? Then here you go: The Warhammer Online Facebook page.
- /random might not be new, but it’s a great catch-all WAR blog.
- The Captain’s Blog covers WAR, Warhammer 40K and Warhammer tabletop.
- The White Tower of Hoeth may be just a blog baby, but it’s a hefty baby boy!
- Warhammer Online Gaming Scene told me they were going away, but I guess they’re back!
From EA Mythic:
- EA Mythic’s Event Calendar — find out where WAR will be showcased next!
- James Nichols explains who’s handling the customer service for WAR in different regions.
- WAR Europe confirms that the Play.com’s codes are sent.
- Josh Drescher clarifies what can go on at the Games Day event.
- James Nichols gives us a taste of Warhammer’s “fluff” — one of my favorite MMO features.
- Get the straight scoop on server/realm population caps from James Nichols (with a short follow-up here).
- Jeff confirms that only 16 of the 24 classes were available for play at Games Day.
- Various rule set servers are in the works but nothing definitive, James says.
- EA CEO: WAR won’t rival WoW
- Warhammer Online will be showcased at this year’s diminished E3 in July.
- Play.com is still having problems with the whole pre-order situation.
- ChaosCast Episode 2: Technical Difficulties, Please Stand By
- Podcast of Reckoning Episode 3: What does the newsletter entail?
Articles & Commentary:
- Hardcore Casual deduces: we need WAR already!
- Keen’s Korner: Which class looks the most appealing? It’s a classy piece.
- Wrenn’s take on Warhammer’s graphics, over at Warhammer Peaceniks.
- War Noob asks, “…but what if WAR gets terrible reviews?” Will you still play?
- TTH has organized all their zone overviews on one handy page!
- “By the Gods!” at Warhammer Gaming Scene covers the major deities of WAR.
- “WAR for the Win” at Game Zig replies to my “How WAR Can Win” article — does he agree?
- Book of Grudges digs around in the whole “no official WAR forums” pile. Stinky!
- “MMORPG Burnout and… Anti-Burnout?” at The Greenskin gives us a lovely new gamer definition to memorize.
- Snafzg penned a follow-up, second draft analysis of the recent WHA what-class-will-you-play poll. Great reading, check it out.
- Champions of Stuff throws their hat into the ring as to release and beta speculation.
- Werit (heaven help you if you mispronounce that as “Wart”) looks at WAR’s ability for a character to level up via PvPing.
- How can you sex up the Hammerer? Book of Grudges has some kinky ideas.
- Order of Destruction wants Mythic to get a commercial out on TV, ASAP!
- Svoald comes up with a few WAR conspiracy theories. I think WAR shot JFK, after reading this.
- /random looks at how we can build a Warhammer server community.
- Dreaming a fantastic dream, The Cogworks thunks up fun ways for WAR to make alt leveling more enjoyable.
- Book of Grudges has some nice Baltimore GamesDay review quotes and info tidbits.
- Read a lengthy GamesDay review at Alpha Guild.
- More Games Day wrap-up at Only-WAR.
- “Some Pretty Good Reasons Why Warhammer Looks Like It Might Be Awesome.”
- Book of Grudges debate whether a guy’s manhood is threatened by playing a Witch Elf.
- Ten Ton Hammer’s started an Orc screenshot gallery — see how they’ve changed over time!
- Khaos chooses an army (part 3). Part 3 of what? I feel like I’m loading a computer game with 15 old 5 1/4″ floppy disks.
- War Noob asks, “Should all classes move at the same speed?” Personally, I’m hoping to crawl everywhere. Maybe skip.
- Keen examines the server queues hubbub.
- “How to take criticism (from a pro)” reexamines the whole PC Gamer UK article in a new light, responding to this blog post by the author.
- Here I thought I was in Detroit that weekend…
- Werit looks at DAoC to speculate as to what incentives WAR might feature in getting people to play the underdog faction.
- The White Tower examines Destruction’s apparent domination in the gamer mindset.
- “Early Access? Bring it on!” Book of Grudges declares.
- Only-WAR goes to Games Day 2008 and brings back a personal tale of love and laughter.
- Bo from The Greenskin looks at the graphical style of different MMOs — and why some connect.
- Wrenn looks at AoC and speculates how it might affect WAR.
- War Noob looks at the three most popular WAR forums, and explains why you should care.
- How incredible, exactly, will WAR’s end game RvR be? WAR Gaming Scene reports.
- War Noob doesn’t want WAR to be as popular as WoW, and he has good reasons for it.
- “Can Warhammer Online kill the powerleveler?” Honestly? I don’t think so.
- WAR City Sieges FAQ at TTH
- Tobold looks at the server population issue and decides nobody can play.
- Hardcore Casual says “RELAX!” about server population queues
- TTH’s Top Ten Insights from Games Day 2008.
- Another convert — Gordo is joining the WAR side of the force!
- CyberVic analyzes the Zealot gameplay video from Games Day 2008.
- Book of Grudges asks, “Do we really need different server rulesets?” I, for one, would like to see a banana ruleset.
- Gear v. Skill. Who will win? Who will get the girl, and who will cry themselves to sleep at night on their huge pilla?
- JeuxOnline looks at how WAR might distinguish itself from the rest of the MMO pack.
- Order Strikes Back: Swordmasters of Hoeth. About darn tootin’ time!
- One word: ZERGHAMMER!
- TTH looks at how the human race has evolved in the past year (in WAR, of course).
Databases & Forums:
- Warhammer Vault has upped their guild database to an impressive 520+.
- Another week, another awesome Forum Watch at The Greenskin!
- The Cogworks has a cute chicken gameplay video to watch.
- Games Day 2008 Q&A Part 1
- Marauder gameplay
- Engineer gameplay
- Guild Vendetta interview: Part 1 and Part 2
- Paul Barnett at Dreamhack
- Dark Elf Sorceress @ The Captain’s Blog
Fun & Games:
- Play the WAR slot machine!
- The Secret Life of Mobs new comic — “The Inquisition”!
- Interview with a Witch Elf at Order of Destruction.
- There’s a great new goblin fan art over at Warhammer Vault.
- In “Werit captures a Greenskin!”, a dwarf and a greenie face off in a hilarious battle royale.
- Gene Simmons in WAR?
- Keen shows off a reader-submitted Spore Squig!