Da Newz – May 15May 15, 2008
Beta Ticker: 692,706 (+7,821 from last week)
Quote of the Week: “The best way to look at it is that Warhammer is Batman.” ~ Josh Drescher
Story of the Week: Oddly enough, the biggest story about WAR this week wasn’t about WAR at all — but instead, the blitz of World of Warcraft expansion info that was suddenly thrown all over the place. Many Warhammer fans are nervously chewing their nails at the shift in spotlight (and unrestrained speculation about the supposed fall head-to-head battle of the two titles), but Massively actually thinks WoW is a positive factor in the future success of WAR. In any case, a clash between these two titles looks to happen this fall, as Vivendi confirmed that Wrath is “anticipated to be released in the second half of 2008.”
In other news:
- Warhammer Geek reports that a new German online magazine, Frontline, looks to be fans of Warhammer Online — check it out if you speak Germaneze.
- In the mood for a few good men… er, videos? Warhammer Vault points us toward Warhammer-Portal for some Warhammer-Videos.
- The Greenskin reports that EA bought out Rupture. What does that mean for WAR? Snafzg speculates that the technology might be used to help extend the game experience beyond the game itself — as in social networking.
- GamesIndustry.biz gives us a sneak peak at an interview with Josh Drescher, including the revelation that the Mythic team has at least five years of content and leveling mapped out.
- Speaking of interviews with Josh, bit-tech.net has a pretty cool chat with the man about taking on World of Warcraft and how WAR is like Batman (among other topics).
- Action Trip’s second WAR Progress Report has a great overview of what WAR’s been up to, and what it’ll offer the average player.
- With all the hubbub over EA using DRM in its upcoming games, Mark Jacobs popped onto the VN boards to assure us that WAR will not use DRM (which isn’t really needed in MMOs anyway). Wow, that’s a lot of acronyms.
- Need a little Capital Cities RvR in your diet? Warhammer Vault’s got you covered.
- TTH muses on the promise by WAR’s devs to make the game viable for solo players as well as groupers.
- Mythos has announced at least five years of… something… more planned, and Keen’s all over the analysis.
- Or you could just take the word from the horse’s (the horse here being Josh Drescher) mouth.
- That Videogame Blog has a massive hands-on preview of Warhammer Online — cool info in here about gear and mounts, if you’ve been searching for tibits on those.
- JeuxOnline does us proud by translating an older French article of theirs mulling over the upcoming WAR beta/release/NDA dates. There’s a really handy chart in here too — check it out!
- Warhammer Conflict Wiki would like you to sample their wares by reading up on a dude named Malekith. We think he’s a baker.
- Another week, another awesome wallpaper from Wallhammer Vault (wait… Wallhammer?): The Marauder!
- Warhammer Conflict would like to invite you to peruse and participate in one of its famed Focus Discussions!
- The Greenskin brings a drink of water to the parched soul with his seventh webcomic, “There’s Nothing To Fear”
- Tobold wonders “Will Order or Chaos Prevail in WAR?”
- Warhammer Geek parodies Pinball Wizard with their WAR-themed tune “Witch Elf Woman”
- Want to give your cellphone or MP3 player a bit of Warhammer love? The Greenskin reports that WAR wallpaper for these devices are now available!
- With all the new Lich King info, doom ‘n gloom pronouncement for WAR’s future have been stirred anew. West Karana declares that she will “sit this one out” when it comes to this year’s major MMOs.
- QJ.net takes a brief, insightful look at the Zealot career.
- This is a little old, but this YouTube clip of Dwarf WAR music is… awesome. Pure awesome.
- JeuxOnline has a funny little article wondering about how you can cement your reputation as a “legend” in the upcoming WAR.
- How much will WAR’s graphics affect (good or bad) its upcoming release? Keen compares and contrasts with other MMOs.
- Making me think of the old SAT questions, Tobold posits “AoC is to WAR as EQ2 is to WoW”
- On the WHA forums, Iain Compton straightened out a few facts about the timing of the guild beta, open beta and NDA liftage.
- Keen reports that WAR’s graphics are definitely showing some polish, which I suppose is a “good thing”
- EA Mythic has announced Warhammer Online: The Official Drink. Cheers!
- MTV tries to be convinced by Mythic to make WAR their first MMO — yeah, we SO want those guys playing with us. Because they keep it real.
- Thought we’d go another week without mentioning Greenskin’s Forum Watch? Think again!
- IGN gives Warhammer Online a progress report, and its good enough to avoid a spanking by the parents.
- 1Up’s done their own hands-on WAR play, and have the stones to share it with you personally.
- You know you want to drool right now, so check out these brand new screenies here at VE3D!
- During the Spring Press Event, GameSpot got their grubby little mitts on WAR and molested it until it gave up the literary goodies. I’m kinda creeped out by the previous sentence, even though I wrote it.
- The Warhammer comic is finally on newstands, according to this unnamed source.
- Warhammer Geek’s started to offer exclusive wallpapers, and you can snag the first two here.
- GameSpy has a brand new article looking into WAR’s newbie zones, and it’s a fun read! After you’re done with that, Keen’s got a bit of follow-up commentary on the piece.
- Josh Dresher gave us a brief summary of the EA Games Spring Break, whetting our appetite for more info in the near future.
- Josh Drescher did another interview (the man is a MACHINE), this time with GamesIndustry.biz entitled, simply, “Warhammer Time!”
- Wikis are all the rage these days, it seems, and Warhammer Geek’s launched the fourth (I think) WAR-related wiki. Which one will become the standard? Anyway, you can read there announcement here, and check out (and contribute to) the new Warhammer Geek Wiki here.
- Warhammer Geek’s posted four motivation-style wallpapers (I particularly enjoy the squig one).
- Do you want to write about WAR but don’t want to have to hassle with your own blog/site? Warhammer Gamers is hiring (“hiring” being a loose term — don’t think there’s pay involved) new writers to the staff. Go apply today!
- Finally, The Secret Life of Mobs has a new WAR comic this week — “No More Beercraft!”