Da Newz – May 8May 8, 2008
Beta Ticker: 684,885 (+17,567 from last week)
Quote of the Week: “Death! Kill! Custard!” ~ The slogan on the 8-Bit Paul Barnett t-shirt
Story of the Week: The dev team did a huge conference call with 23 WAR and game review sites last week, prompting a plethora of articles more or less saying the exact same thing. We here at WAAAGH! were not invited, and thus are drowning in a vat of bitter tears and tabasco sauce.
- The full April Newsletter is available on the main site (for some reason, my e-mail copy comes late every month) — check it out here!
- Start your day off right with a cup of coffee and a read of Massively’s “Catching Up With WAR”, an update on the closed beta. Good news: Jeff’s wife loves the crafting system. Murder Ball sounds fun!
- Keen’s Corner looks at “Moving Away From A Gear-Centric System” — so break out those sprockets, springs and hinges!
- Josh Drescher mentions the conference call Mythic had to about a bajillion WAR and news sites. I most enjoyed Warhammer Vault’s summary, if you only have to read one.
- Speaking of which, here’s TTH’s take, as well as GameZone and GamePlasma.com’s writeup of the call.
- Finally, Keen shares his thoughts on the highlights of the conference call.
- What we like to see in a WAR site: “Five Things To Worry About” Because worry and speculation is all we have right now, folks! (well, that and rocky road from the ice cream truck down the street)
- It’s been a couple weeks, but The Greenskin is back with another Forum Watch of interesting posts and comments culled from the boards!
- Have questions about the Tome of Knowledge that even I, Tome King, was not able to answer? Check out Ten Ton Hammer’s Tome FAQ!
- The Wizard of Duke Street brings us a few thoughts on crafting in WAR. Are your tastes whetted?
- Warhammer Vault whipped out another awesome wallpaper, this time of a naugh-tie Dark Elf.
- Canadians have another option to pre-order the CE — this time at The Source.
- If you’re having a hard time keeping track of dates in May, Warhammer Vault has an excellent calendar for you.
- WAR-JOL has an excellent writeup on WAR’s living guild system, complete with screenies!
- Warhammer Conflict is now offering Conflict Wiki as a wikish service — head on over and help them fill it up with info!
- Get your official 8-Bit Paul Barnett t-shirt (death! kill! custard!) at the Mythic store.
- Is WAR trying too hard to imitate WoW? Tobold seems to think so, but he’s a cranky monkey anyway. Hardcore Casual has a rebuttal.
- TTH elaborates on some of the NPC’s featured in the April newsletter. We think Gortek is quite the dreamy hunk.
- Get your weekly dose of gameplay footage here — check out the weather and lighting effects!
- MMORPG gives us a decent overview of the High Elf Swordmaster class: it slices, it dices, it rinses thoroughly after each use.
- A couple of other RvR videos have surfaced on Jeux Online — watch them here.
- Warhammer Geek’s first “Podcast of Reckoning” is now available for your audio enjoyment.
- GameSpot did a nice video interview with WAR’s Josh Drescher, giving us another basic overview of WAR.
- Be sure to watch Justin Goes to Comicon for all sorts of Warhammery goodness: Part 1, Part 2, and (my favorite) Part 3.
- Jack Black isn’t going to be a voice actor in WAR. How are you dealing with this tragedy? Let me know, I need help!
- Warhammer Conflict defines what “WAAAGH!” is, exactly. And no, it’s not just the name of the most awesomest blog on the planet.
- TTH delves into the Dark Elf Sorceress career — this particular class looks to be a fan fave so far.
- Warhammer Vault has archived six must-see movies for your entertainment!
- Warhammer Gamers notes that the WAR CE is still in GameStop’s top 15 best sellers — #10 to be precise!
- This week’s WHA Waaagh discusses “Gamer and the Paul Hype Factory” — how much are we buying into the hype and how can we sort it out?
- Warhammer Vault points us to three new videos from the 2008 RPC.
- New Secret Life of Mobs comic: “Beercraft Fanboy”!
- Apparently I’m in a comic now. I think I look like a tumor. I don’t wanna be a tumor!