Da Newz – April 24April 24, 2008
Beta Ticker: 670,719 (+7,394 from last week)
Quote Of The Week: “So, coming to the shows, especially shows like this that are not industry exclusive, half-academic nonsense, are absolutely critical to what we do.” ~ Josh Drescher, on the NY Comic Con
Big Story Of The Week – The NY Comic Con: Reports, videos and interviews are pouring in from the weekend Comic Con, where (once again) players got their mitts on the WAR beta — and no NDA for that sort of thing! Warhammer Vault gathered up a lot of tidbits from fans who attended (including armor for mounts!) and Josh Drescher wraps things up in his blog.
Breaking News: This morning word is popping up all over the place that Mythic is sending out Guild Beta invites! This doesn’t mean that the Guild Beta will begin today, just that the invites have gone out. (As reported by Warhammer Geek, WHA Forums, and the WAR VN boards)
- A new “News From The Front” was posted on the Herald, which included a short piece of fiction, a wrapup of the Dark Elf/High Elf testing, some fictional correspondance and 27 new screenshots!
- James Nichols commented on the Head Start program over at WHA forums, stating the good that the program will do for the launch.
- The Greenskin’s Forum Watch culls through the posts to bring you the cream of the crop!
- A new Warhammer site just launched: Warhammer Geek — let’s welcome them to the WAR community.
- Ten Ton Hammer discusses “Why Beta Testing Isn’t Important: The Dark Side of Beta”, about whether or not it’s a good idea to join the WAR beta. Hm. Sounds familiar, don’t it?
- Warhammer Vault posted five original Witch Hunter wallpapers — my fave is the first!
- Massively maps out the “Warhammer Online North American Tour”, with dates and places where you can get your hands on the beta.
- Check out a couple of Warhammer parody songs over at Warhammer Geek.
- Two videos on this German site feature the Dark Elves and an interview with Jeff Hickman (translated for hilarity).
- The Greenskin posted a cool video with Robert Mull showing off the Warhammer comic and how the beta scratch-off works (hint: you scratch it off).
- Meanwhile, TTH has a video interview with the same guy — Robert Mull — this time discussing the socially-driven aspects of WAR, such as guild tools.
- There’s an informative post over at WHA forums about the NY Comic Con beta impressions, particularly focusing on the Disciple, Bright Wizard, Chosen and Shadow Warrior classes. Interesting tidbit: you get the ability to dye your armor starting at level 10.
- Massively’s “As Worlds Turn: Birth of a New Era” mentions the upcoming bumper crop of MMOs, including WAR.
- Warhammer Conflict brought us both a video interview with Josh Dresher and Jeff Hickman, and a follow-up (text) interview with Mark Jacobs. Interesting tidbits: the head start will be a “significant period”, they are hoping to have an RP, Core and PvP-modified ruleset servers.
- We’re sad to report that the excellent Warhamma Podcast is going on haitus for at least a few months (or until Open Beta begins).
- “Kutulu” over on WHA forums posted a couple videos from the NYCC featuring the Zealot and Chosen classes in action.
- Intrigued about collision detection coupled with PvP in WAR? Then check out this fascinating post.
- MMORPG posts their second batch of 8 pieces of concept art for you to eyeball, as well as a post-NY Comic Con chat with Josh & Jeff & Paul (the new hit easy listening group!).
- Warhammer Geek is reporting that UK residents can can plug in their pre-order for WAR starting April 25th.
- Warhammer Vault got an exclusive dev interview that covered, among other things, the UI, tank vs tank battles and public quests.
- Looking to name your future Chaos toon? Chaos War Host has a great guide to help you do just that!
- Heartless Gamer has a Warhammer Concern, and we don’t think it’s just the grade of the toilet paper that dwarfs use.
- Wondering if the Collector’s Editions will ever sell out? Apparently, Germany’s already sold their last copy, reported by Warhammer Geek.
- If you want to be a spectator at the weekly Mark Jacobs vs. The Forum Trolls event, here ya go.
- My kinda silly, kinda off-the-cuff “What If?” post has prompted a few other WAR sites to respond with answers and their own questions — The Greenskin and Warhammer Gamers.com. Groovy!
- Warhammer Conflict did such an excellent job rounding up many of the NY Comic Con videos that I feel I can take a virgin martini break (I make it with “water” and an “ice cube”).
- TTH (we’re friends now, I can abbreviate their name) has the entire MMORPG Dev Panel at the NY Comic Con — both moderator and audience Q&A — for you to savor.
- Tony Jones over at TTH asks “Do We Need Lore In WAR?” Heh… it rhymes!
- WAR-MP posted an interview with John Blanche of Gamers Workshop about their involvement in Warhammer Online.
- Check out a new Secret Life of Mobs comic — “Ministry of Truth”!
- HammerWiki has a bit of competition, as another WAR wiki’s opened up: MMO Wiki’s Warhammer.
Random Plug Of The Week: WAAAGH! is almost a side project in my writing life — for over 11 years now I’ve been the webmaster of Mutant Reviewers From Hell, a cult movie review site that’s been covering the more offbeat, odd and delightfully strange flicks out there. We have an excellent staff of ten crazy folks who work hard to bring great material, and we invite you to head on over and check us out while you wait for WAR!